Thursday, January 13, 2011

In the Company of Angels

In The Company of AngelsIn The Company of Angels by David Farland

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


In the Company of Angels follows three people from the Willie Handcart Company on their trek to get to Salt Lake City during the fall of 1856. Capt. James Willie is the leader of the company. Baline Mortenson is a 9 year old Danish girl traveling with another family to meet up with her sister in Salt Lake City. Eliza Gadd is not a member of the LDS church but is going with her husband and children, all converts to the LDS church. The story follows the trials and tribulations of the Pioneers as they walked their way to Zion.

I actually had a difficult time reading the story, although it was well written. The trek was hard and painful. Many died and the story reflects the misery of trodding along while people are dying. However, since it was a historical fiction, I had to keep reading even though I knew how the story would end.

One aspect of the book puzzled me. As I stated, the story was told from three different viewpoints. However, at the critical time of the book, the author wrote a historical narrative that was not from any of the three characters viewpoints. It felt a little out of place. Also, I felt the story ended too soon. It did not follow the company into Salt Lake City. It would have been interesting to read what could have been a happier, yet conflicted, ending.

All in all, I would recommend it, but not if you want some lighthearted reading.



View all my reviews

No comments: