Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Post Surgery

It has been quite the week. As it began, I could not wait for it to be over. Now, we are at the end. Thankfully!

Deb and I left home on Thursday morning at about 3:15. At about 5:25 we arrived at the University of Utah Hospital. I hugged Deb, and she walked in. I hated leaving her. I wanted so badly to be with her.

After I dropped her off, I went into the parking garage. Deb had told me that she was going to call me when the doctor came to visit her before her operation so I did not want to miss that call driving to Shauna's. She called at about 7 am, so I could have made it to Shauna's. I was able to get a short nap in which helped.

The doctor said that he would have a nurse call at the beginning, during, and at the end of the surgery. The doctor also said that the surgery would take about four hours.

As promised, I received a call from the nurse. Deb did well during the surgery, then after the surgery, I got a call from the assistant surgeon. He said that Deb did really well and the surgery went a little better than expected. He said that Deb would call as soon as she woke up from the anesthesia which would be about an hour. Right then, I wanted to be with Deb. I did not want to wait for a call. I wanted to see her in her recovery room, but, alas, I could not. I had to wait.

It was a big relief when the doctor said Deb was doing great, but she never did call. Late in the afternoon, I called to find out why she had not called. The nurse checked up on her and said that she was still sleeping. As I thought about it, Deb has always had a hard time waking up from anesthesia so then I knew it would be some time before she called.

She called me the next morning. She thought it was still Thursday. She did not believe me that it was Friday. Man, did it feel good to hear her voice. We then did a video call and saw each other for the first time in over 24 hours. Deb looked good--well, as good as can be expected after brain surgery.

We came home today. Deb called at about 9 am to say that she was being released. By the time I got packed and to the hospital and Deb was fully discharged, it was 1:30 pm before we left for home. The ride home seemed long. I wanted to get home to get Deb comfortable. As we were driving home, Becky Sorensen called and said she had supper for us so we stopped and picked that up when we got to Downey.

It is good to have this week over. Now on to recovery!

No comments: