Saturday, July 19, 2008

Death and Life

The older I get in the life, the more meanful death becomes. The passing of Uncle Keith and Fay Merrill brought death back into my life as these loved ones passed through the veil. As always, it is a very mournful time of life when those that we love leave us. However, as a think about their experience of going through the veil, I wonder what that is like and what Dad is doing.

I am sure that Dad was standing in the background as Uncle Keith hugged his mother and father after passing through the veil. The hugs were given to Clair and Ralph. Then Dad shook Keith's hand and welcomed him to life without pain but also without a body. Dad may have even done some missionary work--explaining that the Plan of Salvation is true and that Dad would be glad to share its message with Keith if you would like to hear it.

When Fay passed through the veil, I am sure Dad was anxiously waiting in the background as Fay hugged her family members. Dad was probably wishing it was Mom coming through the veil as I am sure he misses her dearly. Then, when Dad and Fay greeted, it was with a warm hug. Dad then peppered Fay with a million questions about Mom, all of us kids, and his grandkids. He then asked about his fellow Swan Lakers--and I am sure he beamed from ear to ear as Fay reported on his son as bishop of the Swan Lake Ward (although I am sure he already knew about it). They probably talked more than they should have.

Over the years (it hardly seems possible to be 16 years!), the sting of Dad's death has faded. But my love for him and missing him has not. I believe he has news of all the goings on with his family--though like letters. As a missionary, I loved getting letters from home. There were times, though, letters were not enough. I wanted to be home experiencing what my family was experiencing. I feel that is the way Dad feels. Love you Dad. Here's to seeing you soon someday--but not that soon! I have kids to raise!

No comments: