Thursday, July 31, 2008

This Will Hurt Me More Than You!

Yesterday (July 30), we had a crisis in the Gambles' household. Recently, Lilli has been playing in the toilet. We have repeatedly punished her for it. However, Angie has also started getting into the toilet even though she has seen Lilli punished for it. To make a long story short, Angie got caught playing in the toilet just a few minutes after Lilli had been punished for the same thing. We decided drastic measures were needed to get Angie, who knew what she was doing was wrong, to stop doing it. We had told her earlier that we were going to the Downey City Park for an Elders' Quorum party. She was excited since she knew she could play on the swings and slides. So, we decided that Deb and the girls were going to stay home from the party. However, as we thought about it, it wouldn't be fair to Deb and Lilli to be forced to stay home. So, as punishment, Angie could go to the party but could not play in the playground. Before and after supper (superbly cooked, I might add), Angie would sit or stand on the edge of the playground. I could tell she really wanted to go play. It broke my heart, but I knew she needed to learn her lesson. There were several times I just about said, "Go ahead and play." I understood, though, that she would then learn that breaking the rules would have no consequences. I bit my tongue and watched her suffer.


Later, I reflected on how sometimes our Father in Heaven must feel when we break his rules, and then he has to punish his children. I never dreamed that fatherhood would be so challenging...yet so rewarding!

1 comment:

TJ said...

Your a good father Ted. :)