Monday, April 7, 2008

General Conference

Unfortunately for Deb, she had to work at the Library for the Saturday morning session of General Conference. As it turned out, it became a powerful, spiritual experience for me.
In my lifetime, I have seen 8 men receive the call to be our Prophet. Of course, I do not recall too clearly the Solemn Assemblies for Joseph Fielding Smith, Harold B. Lee, or Spencer W. Kimball. I have very faint recollections of Ezra Taft Benson, Howard W. Hunter, and Gordon B. Hinckley. I will feel, however, that this Solemn Assembly will stay lodged in my memory.
I participated in the Solemn Assembly as a member of my Elders' Quorum. When the entire membership was asked to rise and sustain the new First Presidency, Angie stood with me and we both sustained our new Prophet. Angie was proud to do it. After it was over, she told me we should have had Lilli do it. It was very moving to me to be able to do it with my daughter. Too bad Deb wasn't there so we could do it as a family.
When President Monson was sustained, I thought he looked like the world was caving in on him. It seemed to me that he has aged several years since the last General Conference. No wonder. I would feel the same way if such a great responsibility was put on me!

No comments: