Monday, April 28, 2008

Movies Watched This Weekend

Over the weekend, I watched five movies. Two were picked by Angie and three were picked by Deb.

The first one we watched was the Disney Classic Cinderella. It has been years since I have seen this movie. Angie loves this movie. For Christmas, she got a princess dress-up kit that she has to wear while watching the movie. This movie is very clever and stands up through time. The way the mice are portrayed are very entertaining. Being a classic, I gave it 9 out of 10 stars on IMDb.



The second movie was Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Angie doesn't like this as much as she does Cinderella. In fact, having sit through it all for the first time in a long, long time, I was surprised at how dark the movie is. The evil queen who turns into an old woman has some very dark scenes and then the demise of the queen is also morbid with buzzards circling above her after her demise. All in all, though, it is still a classic and on IMDb, I gave it 9 out of 10 stars.



Mom had given us a copy of 9 to 5 months ago and we finally got around to seeing it. I have seen it several times, but Deb had never seen it. It is a very entertaining movie, however, the one scene of doing drugs is a big downer for the movie. It really relays a very wrong message about drugs (and totally unrealistic). Aside from that, it is a fun movie. On IMDb I gave it a 5 out of 10 stars rating. The drug scene dragged the rating down by several stars.



While waiting for Lilli's bedding to dry, we watched Dreamgirls. It was a little different from what I expected. I found it very interesting how the musical numbers were used. In many scenes, the musical numbers started out as a performance on stage but then segued into the story-telling part of the movies. At first, it was a little confusing, but by the end I saw how clever it was. The performances of all the actors were strong and I felt attached to the story. I was impressed with it. I rated it 7 out of 10 on IMDb.



The last movie we watched was Pretty Woman. The most entertaining part of this movie was not the movie but watching Deb watch the movie. She LOVES this movie. She has it memorized. Despite the adult theme and some unnecessary "love" scenes, this movie really feels like a fairy tale. I think that is why Deb loves it so much. The adult nature of the movie brings the rating down to 7 out of 10 stars on IMDb.

1 comment:

Todd & Chelsea said...

Hope Deb is feeling better...we were worried! We missed seeing you guys too. If you haven't heard, we are moving to cedar city...in two weeks, but we'll be up for the Bear Lake reunion.